Research Assistant / Graduate Assistant Employment

Congratulations on receiving a Research or Graduate Assistantship Award from the School of Government MPA program.  This award includes a temporary employment component and the following instructions pertain to completing required forms for this process.  Assistantships for the fall semester will be effective August 1, 2013.  If you receive a full-year assistantship, it will run through April 30, 2014 or 9 months.  If it is a half-year assistantship, it will run through December 31, 2013 or 5 months.   Occasionally half-year assistantships are renewed for the spring semester.  If your assistantship is renewed for the spring, 2014 semester, your appointment will be extended through April 30, 2014 for 4 months.

All original employment forms listed below, except the I-9, are to be mailed to Catherine Vorick, School of Government Human Resources, CB#3330, Knapp-Sanders Bldg., Chapel Hill NC  27599-3330 by the specified deadline.  Your official appointment will begin on August 1, 2013, before you arrive for the fall semester, and the paperwork needs to accompany the employment action.  Your first day of work will be scheduled after the fall semester begins.  Failure to submit the required paperwork by the specified deadline may delay your appointment and your monthly check.  If you have ANY QUESTIONS, please contact Catherine Vorick at or 919-962-8109.

To initiate your original appointment, you will need to submit the following paperwork (links provided at the end of the instructions):

  1. Form AP-2s:  EPA Student Employment Certifications and Conditions of Employment.  Please enter your full name in the first section (Appointee’s Full Name) and on the top of each page.  Complete the “Demographic” section.  You can use your current or permanent address and change it when you have a UNC- area address later if necessary. 

    In “Education” “Degree, Diploma or Certificate” enter the specific degree (BA, MA, etc.) received. In “Date Conferred” enter month/year.  In “Experience” “Dates of Employment” please enter month/year.

    At this point, you can print the three-page document, check as appropriate Condition 8 A, B or C and then initial/sign and date all three pages.

    Download Form AP-2s Form

  2. Direct Payroll Deposit Authorization Form for Faculty, Post-Docs, and EPA Student Employees.  All payments are directly deposited into an account each payday (monthly for EPA Students).  If this form is not submitted, you will not receive your first payment in August.  If you will be opening a new local account, but will not be able to do so before August 15, 2013, please complete the form using your current information.  You can submit a new form when you have other account information.  (In this case, do not close the current account until your next monthly payment has been deposited into the new account.)

    Enter all information requested.  Section 6 (“Transit Number”) is the first set of numbers at the bottom of your check.  Section 7 (“Account Number”) is the second set of numbers at the bottom of your check.

    You need to provide a blank check from your checking account with “VOIDED” written across the check.  If you are using a savings or other type of account, or if your bank does not issue checks for your account, you need to provide an original letter from the bank, on their letterhead, stating the type of account you are using, the appropriate institution routing and account numbers and it must be signed by a bank representative.

    Download Direct Deposit Authorization Form

  3. Federal W-4 Withholding Form:  You should be able to enter data on this form.  If not, print it out and clearly print the data.  The worksheet sections are to assist you in determining your deductions.   If you have specific questions, please contact a tax advisor.  Our office is not in a position to advise you on your deductions.   The address you provide will be used to send your W-2 at the end of the calendar year.  You can use a current or permanent address.  If your current address changes after you arrive at UNC, you can submit a new form to change it. This form must be signed and dated.

    Download W-4 Form

  4. North Carolina NC-4 Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate:  You will not be able to enter data directly into this form so it must be printed and the information clearly printed onto the form.  Your information should be entered on the line BELOW the section name.  You can use a current/permanent address of a local address.  As with the W-4 form, your address information can be changed by submitting a new form.  This form must be signed and dated.

    Download NC-4 Form | NC-4 Instructions

  5. Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification:  THIS FORM IS PROVIDED FOR INFORMATION ONLY.  This form must be completed in the School of Government Human Resources Office once you arrive at UNC-Chapel Hill and is provided only for your information so you will know what documentation you should bring with you.  Pages 1-3 are instructions.  Page 4 is a copy of the actual form.   UNC-Chapel Hill uses an electronic version of the I-9 verification process so this form is provided only so you will know the information you will be asked to provide.  Page 5 lists the acceptable documentation you can provide.   You should provide a document solely from List A or you can provide documents from List B AND List C (one from each).  We will accept ORIGINALS ONLY.  Documents with EXPIRATION DATES MUST BE CURRENT to be acceptable.  The I-9 must be submitted within three days of the day you actually begin work.  We will schedule an appointment for you to complete the process in our office.  Failure to comply with this deadline will jeopardize your appointment and your payments.  PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU BRING THE APPROPRIATE DOCUMENTS TO UNC-CHAPEL HILL.

    Download I-9 Form