Recognition and Awards
Donald Hayman Distinguished Public Service Award
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Master of Public Administration Alumni Association actively seeks nominations for the Donald Hayman Distinguished Public Service Award.
Named after Donald Hayman (pictured left) to honor his work in public service, the award will be given to those individuals who exemplify high standards of service to the public and/or organizations they serve. The winner will receive a plaque, and a scholarship will be awarded by the MPA Alumni Association to a current student in the winner’s name. The MPA Alumni Association Treasurer will recommend a scholarship amount to the MPA Alumni Association Board for approval. In addition, an article will be included in IMPACT highlighting the achievement.
Dr. Donald Hayman was a founding member of the Master of Public Administration program at the University of North Carolina. His career at the then Institute of Government began in 1948 and spanned 37 years. Having worked with more than 150 cities and counties in North Carolina, Dr. Hayman was the embodiment of the “Pracademic,” a practitioner and an academic.
Dr. Hayman influenced the lives of thousands of individuals through his teaching of and working with hundreds of local government officials. His contributions to the cities and counties throughout North Carolina and individuals therein are plentiful and distinguished. His devotion to those who sought careers in public service is an example to be modeled by the MPA alumni family. Naming the Distinguished Public Service Award in Dr. Hayman’s honor is an acknowledgement of his service to the public.
Qualifications of Candidates:
- Consistently high level of service and concern for others rather than a single act or short-term project
- Unselfishly have given of himself/herself without expectation of recognition or reward
- The nominee must be a graduate of UNC’s MPA Program, have a relationship with the MPA Program or associated with the UNC School of Government
- MPA alumni, UNC School of Government colleagues, and MPA faculty possessing detailed knowledge of activities and career can nominate candidates
- Nominations shall consist of no more than a two-page narrative describing the candidate’s achievements; additional material such as newspaper articles, publications, or video of nominee may be submitted
- All nominations must be received by July 1
- Send nominations to Jean Coble at email@example.com
The award (if one is made that year) will be presented at the annual November meeting of the MPA Alumni Association.
Frequency of Award:
The award will be presented only on those occasions that a candidate truly exemplifies unusual achievements in serving others.
Selection of Recipient:
- The president of the Alumni Association, with the past-president serving ex- officio, will appoint a three-member selection committee.
- Interviews with the person making the nomination will be conducted by telephone or face-to-face, at least one member (preferably all committee members) of the selection committee will interview the person making the nomination.
- The committee will make a recommendation to the MPA Alumni Board at a subsequent Board meeting where the MPA Alumni Board will vote on the recommendation.
The selected nominee will be notified by September 1 to enable him/her to attend the conference.
Past Award Recipients:
|Calvin (Cal) Horton||1998|
|Deil S. Wright||2001|