You are here
Process & Timeline
The Carolina MPA Program is offered in two formats, online (MPA@UNC) and on-campus. Please follow the appropriate links below to apply to the appropriate format of the program.
MPA@UNC Application (Online Format)
Apply for MPA@UNC through the online application. MPA@UNC offers students four start dates per calendar year (January, May, August, and September). Applications are accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis.
Apply for the on-campus format through the Graduate School. Applications typcially become available a year ahead of the intake term (in August, a year ahead of the start date); otherwise, the application is inaccessible.
The final submit and application fee deadline for fall 2018 entry is January 10, 2018. In order to insure the admissions committee has ample time to conduct a full review of your application prior to making interview decisions, your application should be complete with all materials submitted by January 31, 2018.
Applicants wishing to receive full consideration for all forms of financial assistance should have a completed application by mid-December (exact date TBD). Applications completed after that December date will still be considered for most financial assistance awards.
Application Materials required by the Graduate School:
1. Online application, including uploaded:
- Statement of purpose
- Each applicant is required to submit a statement of purpose, usually one to two pages in length, responding to the question, "Why do you want to earn an MPA from UNC-Chapel Hill?" In your statement, please address the following:
- Your professional goals
- Experiences that have led you to consider a public service career
- Why the UNC-Chapel Hill MPA program would be a good fit for you
- These references should be individuals familiar with the applicant’s academic and professional achievements who can address their potential for success in this particular academic setting.
- If offered admission, one official paper transcript for each university attended is required.
2. $87.50 application fee (paid either online during the application process or by mailing a check to the Graduate School)
- Application fee waiver requests are available for five groups of domestic applicants and one group of international applicants, including full-time permanent UNC employees, McNair Scholars, Summer Undergraduate Pipeline (SUP) participants, Vietnam Education Foundation fellowship recipients, Gates Millennium Scholars, and need-based candidates.
- For more information on qualifications for a waiver and submitting the appropriate documentation, please visit the Application Fee Waivers page.
3. Official standardized test scores less than five years old*:
- UNC Graduate School Institution Code: #5816 (no department code)
- GRE, GMAT, and LSAT scores are accepted, though GRE scores are preferred
*Applicants who already hold a master's degree or a research or professional doctorate degree may be exempted from the standardized test score requirement. To submit a test waiver form for review, download the form then email completed form to Susan Lynch.
After a preliminary screening of applications, the MPA Admissions Committee selects finalists to be invited for personal interviews. All admission decisions are made during the spring for fall semester (August) matriculation. Letters announcing acceptance and financial award decisions are typically mailed in mid-April.
For general questions about the graduate school admissions process or admissions application, contact the Graduate School by phone (919.966.2612) or by e-mail (email@example.com). For on-campus MPA specific admissions questions, contact Susan Lynch at firstname.lastname@example.org. For both format-related questions or for questions on the MPA@UNC program, contact Anne Kilby at email@example.com.